advent day thirteen


When the two of them came near the village where they were going, Jesus seemed to be going further. They begged him, “Stay with us! It’s already late, and the sun is going down.” So Jesus went into the house to stay with them.
After Jesus sat down to eat, he took some bread. He blessed it and broke it. Then he gave it to them.
Luke 24: 28– 30

Food, glorious food!

We spend a lot of time at Christmas eating… or preparing food… or eating….or thinking about what to prepare… or eating!
Nigella Lawson writes “How we eat and what we eat lies at the heart of who we are– as individuals, families, communities.” Introduction to Feast

Somehow the food we eat at Christmas takes on particular significance– whether it’s mince pies for the neighbours, turkey on Christmas day or a pavlova and barbecue!

We have choices to make about food– sometimes simple and practical, like what do we cook? How much do we eat? Who do we invite? How much will it cost?

But there are other choices we have to make, maybe before those pragmatic ones. They are choices about our attitudes. Will I be a generous person this Christmas, ready to share my home, my family, my meal table with others? Will I be a grateful person, full of thankfulness for the good things I have?  Will I be a joyful person, able to laugh when things don’t go to plan and rejoice when they do?

When I meet together with others to eat this Christmas, will they be nourished in body and soul?

Don’t worry and ask yourselves, “Will we have enough to eat? Will we have anything to drink? Will we have any clothes to wear?” Only people who don’t know God are always worrying about such things. Your Father in heaven knows that you need all these. But more than anything else, put God’s work first and do what he wants. Then the other things will be yours as well.                           Matthew 6: 31-33

I am the bread of life



Comments

  1. SO pleased I read this yesterday morning as I had planned a supper for 12 people (church and not church) tomorrow eve - then had 6 late entries (from church) during the day - right up till 11pm when we had already begun clearing a room for large table - 16 is max for seating, so Andy and I are graciously serving the meal - I certainly would have not felt so willing had I not read these words earlier -thank you Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Peter- walking a rocky road

advent day two

advent day fifteen