advent day eleven


God for whom we watch and wait,
You sent John the Baptist to prepare the way of your Son;
Give us the courage to speak the truth,
To hunger for justice,
And to suffer for the cause of right

Prepare the way of the Lord

John the Baptist stands in a long line of God’s prophets. They were not
comfortable people to have around. They ignored political correctness, prevailing opinion or current fashions. They were driven people– driven by the message they had to tell. And somehow, even though that message usually involved a judgement on what they saw around them, it was compelling. People listened.

Where are the prophets of today?

Who is speaking out against injustice?

Who is challenging the world and its values?

Are we being called to stand up for what is right in our corner of that world– in the playground, in the supermarket, in our office?

May God give us courage to speak, to act, to make a difference.

he Lord says
“I can’t stand your religious meetings. I’m fed up with your conferences and conventions. I want nothing to do with your religious projects……

Do you know what I want?
I want justice– oceans of it.
I want fairness– rivers of it.
That’s what I want. That’s all I want.”                        Amos 5: 21, 24

Truth and justice



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peter- walking a rocky road

advent day two

advent day fifteen