advent day fifteen


Tell out, my soul, the greatness of the Lord!
Unnumbered blessings give my spirit voice;
Tender to me the promise of his word;
In God my Saviour shall my heart rejoice.

Do not be afraid!

When Gabriel appeared to Mary, she was confused and frightened. He had to reassure her by reminding her how much she meant to God: “You’re beautiful with God’s beauty. Beautiful inside and out! God be with you.” And then he told her of her part in God’s plan….

We can’t begin to guess what her first reactions were. Whether it even made sense to her. She could hardly talk it through with Joseph– so she went off to visit Elizabeth, the only one who might begin to understand, to help her make sense of what was happening to her.

Three months later, Luke lets us see what Mary is thinking. Is it a tear soaked page of her diary? Is it anger and outrage at God? Is it despair as she works out what to say to Joseph?

No– God has brought Mary to a place where she can sing. We call her song the Magnificat– and it is magnificent! Those words which Gabriel spoke to her right at the start- “Do not be afraid!”- are coming true in her life.

From a visit by an angel, through words of blessing, to a visit with a wise and trusted friend, God has provided just what Mary needs.

Whatever your circumstances today, whatever God asks you to do tomorrow, listen for His voice- “Do not be afraid. I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

Strength!
Courage!
Don’t be timid: don’t get discouraged.
God, your God, is with you every step you take.

Joshua 1: 9

I am with you



Comments

  1. Again - amazing timing - I had a difficult meeting on morning of 15th - met with a friend to pray on the eve of 14th and she gave me the words from Joshua about courage - I opened RENEW YOUR MIND on the 15th BEFORE my meeting - and was doubley strengthened - thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

advent day two

Peter- walking a rocky road